PLEASE NOTE: Recorded webinars and sessions are not applicable for CE credits.
Out of the Penalty Box – and Back in the Game
Sport will be back after the curve flattens.
Will you …. and your practice … be ready??
The COVID-19 pandemic has wreaked havoc on sport at all levels – from the multi-billion dollar postponement of the Tokyo Olympics all the way down to cancellation of house league soccer this summer.
But sport will be back – already European leagues have started “socially distant” training camps, and the NFL is planning a full 17 game schedule. What will sport in the COVID era look like, and how can you be ready for these changes for yourself, your family and your patients?
In this program, we will use a number of international resources to discuss:
- The current state of international sport, particularly related to the Summer Olympic Games as well as the return of hockey in North America.
- The WHO Risk Mitigation Tool for Mass Gatherings / Sport, and how this can be used at all levels of competition – even by parents.
- A ‘roadmap’ for return to sport for both professional and recreational athletes.
With the return to sport comes a return to sport injuries. Properly fabricated and fitted mouthguards may indeed prevent more sport injuries than any other piece of protective equipment. In the second part of this webinar we will review:
- The different types of mouth protection available to athletes at all levels.
- Design considerations for pressure laminated guards for various sports.
- Recent research into the role that mouthguards may play in the reduction of concussion incidence and/or severity.
Dr. Paul Piccininni is a Member of both the IOC Medical Commission Games Group and the IIHF Medical Committee. He has been involved in the planning and implementation of the Medical Service for every Summer and Winter Olympic Games since 1996 in Atlanta.
Dr. Piccininni co-chaired the recent Osaka Consensus Conference on Mouthguards and Concussions, and will present some of the as-yet unpublished findings along with some historical and recent research.
Dr. Piccininni has lectured internationally in over a dozen countries and is a consultant to both Hockey Canada and Canada Basketball. He has produced articles for a number of journals including Oral Health, the California Dental Association and Clinics in Sports Medicine. He is a member of the Editorial Board of The International Journal of Sports Dentistry and created the Sport Dentistry module for the Sport Medicine Diploma programs for both FIFA and the IOC.